Medical resources are available to equip parents with knowledge about their child's special needs or medical problem.   Freeparent resource such equally PubMed make information technology easy to search for data and keep up to date on your child'due south issue.   We wanted to share this great resource with our wonderful Kids Activities Blog readers and we hope that you will share information technology with your friends in need of answers for their child.

Medical Resources

I have mentioned in my previous posts about Rory's Congential Femoral Deficiency  or CFD .   When Rory was inutero, doctors had no idea what was incorrect with her leg.   Doctors informed us that our girl had everything from down's syndrome to brittle bone diseases.   When we heard that she may take CFD, I had no idea what that was and had to read everything I could about it.   I used a resources called Pubmed, and I wanted to share this website with other moms out there that could be in the aforementioned boat as me.  I strongly believe one of the best things  you tin do for your special needs child is to educate yourself about their status!

medical resources

Parent Resources

PubMed was created past the national library of medicine and information technology includes millions of citations from medical journals.   When I was looking up information on CFD, I wanted the cold hard facts from doctors that specialized in her condition.  I ended upwardly finding many answers to my questions using this website.

A side note, regarding this website, is that these articles are scholarly medical journals they can be difficult to read.   Some of the articles will want you to pay for the citation.   To avoid paying for the manufactures, I wrote downwardly the citation and called a college library and a medical library to run into if they had the journal manufactures bachelor.   Often times if you search in Pubmed on the higher's computers y'all take access to the articles considering the higher will pay to subscribe to the journals online.   In my experience, college and medical librarians are extremely helpful.

One time at this site, you tin blazon in anything yous want in the search bar.   When you begin typing, Pubmed will effort to autofill what you are searching (which is good for me since spelling is not my strong indicate).  Underneath the search bar, there is a limits  link, if you click on that you can limit what y'all are search for by publication appointment and also if you want a gratuitous full text commodity.

parent resources

PubMed

One thing I love nigh PubMed is the "my NCBI"- at the top right hand corner.  The account is completely free, and if you enter an electronic mail address you can become emailed when a new commodity has been published about your topic.  For instance, when I searched for Built Femoral Discrepancy, after my search results popped upward I clicked under Relieve Search.    It will ask if you would like to get email updates and how frequent you would like to be emailed.   At present, every time someone publishes a new commodity on Congenital Femoral Discrepancy it will email me.

As I stated higher up, these are medical scholarly articles, so they are Non easy reads you can whip out in the 10 minutes you have after your kids go to sleep and before y'all crash on your pillow at night!   Nonetheless, every little bit of information helps, fifty-fifty if you only read the article's abstruse.   I have fifty-fifty been known to highlight articles and write questions in the margin so when nosotros do see Rory's md I have all the questions.

Like I said before, I experience like being informed is one of the best things yous can do to for you and your special needs kid.  Please feel free to visit our website and email me with any questions yous may accept virtually the site!  And recall… NEVER be afraid to ask your md questions!

More Medical Resources and Parent Resources

We promise that this data most PubMed will provide helpful medical resources for you and your child.   Sometimes at that place is cypher more than important than finding supportive parent resource to help y'all understand the nature of your child's special needs and know how to advocate for their health.   More medical resources and parent resources for helping your special needs kid can be found below:

  • Parent Resource to Ready Yous for Your Kid's Surgery
  • Prepare Your Child for Surgery with some Medical Resources
  • Mom Business Cards are a nifty Parent Resources for Other Moms